Please see below for our next OBVTA meeting time and location.
Our next regular OBVTA membership meeting is scheduled for this coming Saturday, April 17, 2021 beginning at 9:30am. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis the meeting will be held by Zoom.
Click here for the Zoom Link for OBVTA Member meeting April 17th at 9:30am
Here is the AGENDA
This will be a very important meeting because the OBVTA board will be asking for a membership vote on changes to the organization bylaws. A summary of the proposed changes to the bylaws is below:
The Board (with the help of a member, John Clarke) took on the task this winter of updating our bylaws to be sure that they reflect the present-day realities of operating the OBVTA organization. The revised version will be presented at the April 17, 2021 meeting (via Zoom) for approval by the membership.
The complete draft of the revised Bylaws are available HERE
Below are highlights of the proposed changes.
The major revisions are related to the election of Board members and the selection of Officers. Under the proposed revised bylaws:
1. Nominees seeking a position on the Board of Directors (BOD) would run for one of nine Board of Director seats – not for a Director or Officer seat, as in the past – and would be elected by a vote of the membership.
2. Officers (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary) would be selected by the Board from the BOD members following the outcome of the June elections. This would ensure that those elected to Officer positions have previous BOD experience and are deemed to be most qualified for those positions based on Board consensus.
3. Terms for Board members would be extended to three years. Elections would be staggered, with three BOD members elected in Year 1 (this year), three in Year 2 and three in Year 3. This would allow for greater continuity and consistency of OBVTA leadership.
4. Officer terms would remain two years and would still be staggered, with the BOD selecting the President and Treasurer in odd years and selecting the Vice President and Secretary in even years. (Yes, this means that some BOD Officers may not be re-elected mid-Officer term; the bylaws have a provision for that.)
5. Term limits (presently two terms for Officers) would be lifted for all Board members, with no restrictions for re-election. This would make it unnecessary for the BOD to extend terms for Officers who are not easily replaced (which happened with our previous Treasurer, whose second term had expired with no one available to replace her).
Aside from the bylaws, the Board approved a process to phase in the BOD and Officer changes outlined above. If you are interested in the nitty gritty details, here is how it would work:
If the bylaw changes are approved by Membership, the President and Treasurer, who are currently up for re-election this year, may run for Board of Director positions this year in their normal election cycle, along with any other nominees. Also, one of two at-large Directors who are currently up for re-election this year will be able to run for re-election this year in his normal election cycle, along with any other nominees. That at-large member will be chosen by BOD lottery. The second at-large Director who is up for re-election this year (the one not chosen by lottery) will be deferred for re-election until 2022. Also in 2022, the Vice President and Secretary (who under the current bylaws would be up for re-election then) will be able to seek re-election as Directors, along with any other nominees. Directors 7, 8, 9 would be able to run for re-election in 2023. Upon election, all Directors would serve three-year terms.
The proposed revised bylaws also now lay out more precisely the process of nominating Directors and holding Elections:
Expiring terms of Directors will be announced, and a call for nominations to fill them will be made, at the April general membership meeting, with a deadline for all nominations to be submitted to the President one week before the May membership meeting. At the May membership meeting, the slate of nominations will be announced to the membership. Bios and background information for each nominee, which will be provided to the President by the nominees, will then be distributed to the membership prior to the June membership meeting. The nominees will be voted upon at the annual membership meeting in June (assuming a quorum is met). If there is only one nomination for a position, the Secretary will immediately cast a vote electing the single nominee. If there is more than one nominee for a position, a vote will be taken by ballot from all members present at the meeting, either on paper or electronically or both. The winner will be determined by a simple majority vote of all members present at the June meeting, assuming a quorum is met.
Other proposed bylaws changes included:
1. The terms for Business Membership were clarified as follows: A business membership entitles representatives from the business to attend membership and business meetings, receive communications, and participate in other membership activities. Only one vote per business membership will be allowed.
2. Removal of members: A standing Ethics Committee would be established to serve for four years, to be engaged in the event the BOD seeks removal of a member for cause. That committee would consist of three BOD members appointed by the OBVTA President and four general members of the OBVTA nominated by the OBVTA President and approved by a majority of the BOD.
3. Treasurer/bank authorizations: The expenditure limit allowed without authorization by a vote of the membership would be raised to $3,000 (from $2,000), to reflect fiscal reality. Expenditures under the $3,000 limit can be approved by a majority of the BOD.
Members will be presented with the proposed revised bylaws at the April 17 general membership meeting.
There will be a question-and-answer period, followed by a vote, which will be done electronically via Zoom. At the time, you will be instructed on how to cast your ballot.
The complete draft of the revised Bylaws will be available on our OBVTA website prior to the meeting.
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE ALL MONTHY MEETINGS WILL BE HELD BY ZOOM DUE TO THE COVID19 PANDEMIC
Details of the Zoom meetings will be available here prior to the meeting.
The hopeful location for future meetings later in the summer will be:The Moose Lodge on Bay Blvd
1801 Bay Blvd.
Ortley Beach, NJ 08751
- April 17, 2021 (by Zoom)
- May 15, 2021 (by Zoom)
- June 19, 2021
- July 17, 2021
- August 14, 2021
- September 18, 2021
- October 16, 2021
- November 20, 2021 (optional)
Refer to our Meeting Guidelines document for procedures and protocol information.
The Bylaws of OBVTA define how the organization works in reference to our purpose, our Board of Directors, officers, membership information, and a description of how our meetings and committees are organized. For detailed information refer to our Bylaws Document, updated October 2014.
Below are the OBVTA General Membership Meeting Minutes for past meetings and recent Treasurer’s reports.
Meeting Date Link to Meeting Minutes Link to Treasurer Reports March 2021 No meeting this month Treasurer Report February 2021 No meeting this month Treasurer Report January 2021 No meeting this month Treasurer Report December 2020 No Meeting Held Treasurer Report November 2020 No Meeting Held Treasurer Report October 2020 Minutes Treasurer Report September 2020 Minutes Treasurer Report August 2020 Minutes Treasurer Report July 2020 Minutes Treasurer Report June 2020. Annual Meeting Minutes Treasurer Report May 2020 Minutes Treasurer Report April 2020 Minutes Treasurer Report March 2020 No meeting this month Treasurer Report
Toms River Town Council Meetings:
The following is a list of dates for the 2020 Toms River Town Council meetings. The meetings begin at 6:00pm with the exception of December meetings which begin at 5:00pm. Location is Town Hall at 33 Washington St., Toms River, NJ, There is a public comments session at every meeting so we encourage you to attend and make your voice heard. Council will not take action if the public does not appear and make comments.
Quarter 1 Quarter 2 Quarter 3 Quarter 4 January 12, 2021 April 13 2021 July 13, 2021 October 12, 2021 January 26, 2021 April 27 2021 July 27, 2021 October 26, 2021 February 9, 2021 May 11, 2021 August 10 2021 November 9, 2021 February 23, 2021 May 25 2021 August 24, 2021 November 23, 2021 March 9, 2021 June 08, 2021 September 14, 2021 December 14, 2021 March 23, 2021 June 22, 2021 September 28, 2021 December 28, 2021